Friday, July 4, 2008

Teaching Children to Sing

I love to sing. I have sung since I was a very little child. My fourth grade teacher used to have me lead any song we sang because she lacked confidence. God just blessed me with the gift of singing and I never really had to work at it. Even when I began voice lessons to develop my voice, it seemed as though my teachers would suggest something and I would magically be able to produce the sound they wanted. (You may be wondering, ok, then why isn't she singing at the Met by now, right?).

Although it is not so unusual to be able to sing well, many people struggle with being able to sing, sometimes not even being able to match pitch well. An older man I knew was told as a child by his classroom teacher, "You can't sing, you play the drum." Until the day he died, he was convinced that he could not sing.

That is tragic.

One of the things I love to do the most is to teach children to sing. Although I have been very successful with this, I am forever on the lookout for resources to help me improve. I never want to stop learning and growing as a musician and teacher.

Last summer I have found three new resources, all DVD's, that promise to help me in this work.

1. Creating Artistry Through Movement
Dalcroze Eurhythmics in the Choral Setting
2. Singing FUNamentals
Toys that Teach
3. Sing Together, Children
Developing Young Singers through Vocal Exploration, Warm-ups, Rounds, Songs, and Singing Games

If your work involves teaching music and singing to children, you might want to check out these resources!

No comments: