Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Books About Catholicism - My Book list

Ever since I was a little girl, I have loved to read. I take a topic and jump right in! That's how I learned about homebirth, homeschooling, and most anything in which I have been interested.

Although most of my reading about the Catholic faith has been done within the past year, many years ago I read a book which influenced me greatly; A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken.

Van, an American, studied at Oxford after WWII and became friends with C. S. Lewis, who greatly influenced his conversion to Christianity. His book, A Severe Mercy, tells that story, as well as the story of his great love with Davy, his wife, and is in the top five best books I have ever read (I read this in college and have re-read it many times). Van's subsequent book, Under the Mercy, which I read about 5 years ago, is the chronicle of his Catholic conversion. Van's writings, more than any others, prompted my initial inquiries into the Faith.

In an interesting twist of events, on an email list where listers discuss Van's writings, I expressed interest in possibly converting and asked if any Catholics on the list would be willing to answer some questions. Floyd Newman responded. Floyd is the godson of a writer, Sheldon Vanauken, having converted in his 20's when Van was still living. His story is told in the book, The New Catholics, one of the books listed below, which Floyd kindly gave to me.

For what it's worth, my reading list follows. You might choose a title and join with me in learning your Christian heritage.

A Severe Mercy - Sheldon Vanauken

Under the Mercy - Sheldon Vanauken

The Little Lost Marian and Other Mercies - Sheldon Vanauken

Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism - Scott Hahn and Kimberly Hahn

Evangelical is Not Enough - Thomas Howard

Lead, Kindly Light: My Journey To Rome - Thomas Howard

On Being Catholic - Thomas Howard

The Night Is Far Spent - Thomas Howard

The New Catholics: Contemporary Converts Tell Their Stories - Dan O'Neill

The Catholic Mystique: Fourteen Women Find Fulfillment in the Catholic Church -Jennifer Ferrara and Patricia Sodano Ireland

By What Authority?: An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition - Mark Shea

This Is My Body: An Evangelical Discovers The Real Presence - Mark Shea

Surprised by Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic by Patrick Madrid

Surprised By Truth 2: 15 Men and Women Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons For Becoming Catholic - Patrick Madrid

Crossing the Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historical Church - Stephen K. Ray

The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth - Scott Hahn

Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith - Scott Hahn

Journeys Home - Marcus Grodi

Home at Last: 11 Who Found Their Way to the Catholic Church - Rosalind Moss

Answer Me This - Patrick Madrid

Handbook of Christian Apologetics: Hundreds of Answers to Crucial Questions - Peter Kreeft and Ronald K. Tacelli

The Hidden Manna: A Theology of the Eucharist by Father James T. O'Connor

An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine - Cardinal John Henry Newman

Ronald Knox As Apologist: Wit, Laughter and the Popish Creed - Milton T., Father Walsh

Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God (Catholic for a Reason) - Scott Hahn and Leon J. Suprenant

The Fathers of the Church, Expanded Edition - Mike Aquilina

The Mass of the Early Christians - Mike Aquilina

Worthy is the Lamb: The Biblical Roots of the Mass - Thomas J. Nash

Catholic for a Reason II: Scripture and the Mystery of the Mother of God, Second Edition (Catholic for a Reason) - Scott Hahn and Jr. Leon J. Suprenant

No comments: